Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Mistakes to avoid when preparing for the USMLE

Here's a list of things I wish I did differently for all the steps.

USMLE Step 1
1) I would have started the uworld qbank in the last semester of Basic Sciences.
In my last Basic sciences semester, I was mostly using Kaplan videos for Pharmacology and the First Aid book generally. I also used Pathoma videos in the previous term for Pathology.
I started doing uworld questions only after completing my fifth term exams. I underestimated the importance of a question bank in preparing for the USMLE, so I did a lot of reading and not as much of the question bank as I should have done. Well, not as thoroughly as I did for the subsequent exams. I had two months to study after my Basic sciences before clinical rotations started. In hindsight, it would have been more beneficial for me use the qbank for more than 50% of my preparations for this 8-hour exam. Instead I focused more on retaining knowledge with the use of DIT and Kaplan videos.

USMLE Step 2 CK
1) I would have scheduled my elective rotations with either a gap to study or scheduled a lighter rotation during my preparations. In the month of my exam was a tedious Pediatric rotation, and those are hard to come by in NYC, so I stuck with it.
2) I would have cut down on the note-taking from uworld. So I may have gone overboard on this while trying to get every detail from the qbank. This surely took away from the limited amount of time I had to prepare. On the bright side, I used the notes to review certain topics while preparing for step 3.

USMLE Step 3
1) I would have had at least a morning or afternoon free after the first day. I had some time after the first day on my initial schedule. But the only schedule available when I moved my exam forward was two consecutive days (the first in the afternoon and second, the next morning). This was terrible, especially since I already find it hard to fall asleep on a regular day. It was worse because of all the caffeine I had that evening. Thank God I found the second day easier and the CCS cases were super short, because I was so sleep-deprived, I was trying really hard to stay awake.
2) I maybe would have gotten another qbank in addition to uworld. I say this because I dropped about 20 points from my step 1 and 2 scores despite doing the best on uworld for all of them. But passing is the most important thing for step 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment